As a schoolboy, when we did not have access to staplers or paperclips, we would fold down the corner of the paper and tear a small notch in the fold with our fingers in order to keep papers together.

What is the term which describes this technique ?

enter image description here

2 Answers 2


Here they call it, nick and fold:

  • Every so often, you need to keep papers together in proper order, but a stapler or clip can't be found. This nick-and-fold technique keeps up to 15 sheets together, and requires only the use of your fingers.

enter image description here



There may be other colloquial terms for this ad hoc way of keeping a few sheets of paper together, but I’ve always heard it termed dog ears or dogeared. It may be imprecise, since the diagonally folded over corner of a book page, whether by accident or design, can also be called a dog ear, but no one thought to call it “dog ear with torn tab.”

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.