I googled these similar terms, which resulted in having same definition: an avalanche. But, what's the actual difference between these terms and how to use them, accordingly?

closed as off-topic by Mari-Lou A, JJJ, JonMark Perry, Scott, Skooba Jun 23 '18 at 16:26

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


"Avalanche" can refer to either snow or rock or both, rolling and sliding down a mountain.

"Snowslide" and "snowslip" are limited to snow; the corresponding word for rock would be "rockslide".

I haven't heard the word "snowslip" before but I would have thought it suggests to a smaller movement: perhaps a large slab of snow making a small movement.

  • Can we say, the avalanche is fall of both rock and snow collectively? @Eureka – Ahmed Jun 14 '18 at 8:14
  • A fall of rock can be an avalanche. A fall of snow can be an avalanche. A fall of rock and snow can be an avalanche. – Eureka Jun 14 '18 at 11:42

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.