Related question: Is there a word for a "promise breaker"?

I want to refer to the victim of a broken promise. A quick search online led me to believe that promisee is an acceptable word but it sounds a bit childish to me.

  • One option would be jilted, which mainly applies to romantic relationships. This is mainly used as an adjective, but could also be used nominally. The breaker would be a jilt or jilter. – Oliver Mason Jun 12 '18 at 14:08
  • 3
    promisee refers to the recipient of any promise, even ones that were kept – wrymug Jun 12 '18 at 14:17
  • @rosslh So, it is a real word? Could I use victim promisee as a condensed version of victim of a broken promise? At least that gets me down to two words; that would be an acceptable alternative for now. – Maarten Bamelis Jun 12 '18 at 14:27
  • I think there is not, for the same reason there aren't, broadly, separate terms for victims of anything, including assaultees, batterees, burglarees, rapees, robbees, stealees… yet we don't. – Robbie Goodwin Jun 12 '18 at 22:47
  • You could refer to that person as the promised – gfos Feb 27 '19 at 20:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.