I am not a native speaker of English. I want to know if there is a verb that means "take away something from other people".

For example: If you say I take it away do you understand that (in most cases) you take something away from other people? Removing it from the other person?

Is there a better verb than take away?

In Spanish the word is quitar. In most cases it means "from other".

1 Answer 1


I think you might be looking for either "seize" or "confiscate"

from Oxford Dictionary of English:

Verb [with object] take or seize (someone's property) with authority: "the guards confiscated his camera"

Verb [with object] take forcible possession of: "army rebels seized an air base"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.