This is a feature when we use tools like Draw.io or PowerPoint.

As you can see below, I have two rectangles on the canvas.
When I drag the green one close enough to the blue one, the green one will be auto attached to the blue one like a magnet.

What's this "auto attached" behavior called in English?
Is there a proper noun for it?

enter image description here enter image description here


The word used in most software I've seen is "snapping". For example, one Microsoft Office support article says the following:

When you draw, resize, or move a shape or other object in Excel, PowerPoint, or Word, you can set it so that it will align or "snap” to the nearest intersection in the grid (even if the grid is not visible) or snap to other shapes or objects.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.