For example:

Type in the description for the event (or use the droplist to choose one of the predefined choices).

My spellchecker is offering:

  • drop list
  • drop-list

Isn't droplist valid?

  • 4
    drop-down menu or drop-down list
    – Boondoggle
    Jun 4, 2018 at 10:08
  • 1
    Please google all the alternatives and let us know.
    – Kris
    Jun 4, 2018 at 12:00
  • Welcome to EL&U. Questions about specialized terminology will often attract better answers from subject matter experts; I might ask this on our sister site, User Experience.
    – choster
    Jun 5, 2018 at 16:13

1 Answer 1


Strictly speaking, this is more of a computer-related site question than one of English. However, they are commonly referred to as dropdown lists.

From usability.gov:

Dropdown lists allow users to select one item at a time, similarly to radio buttons, but are more compact allowing you to save space. Consider adding text to the field, such as ‘Select one’ to help the user recognize the necessary action.

It's a matter of style if it should be dropdown or drop-down, although the unhyphenated version seems more common.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.