What is the name for the type of word that describes a ‘doer’ of the activity? For instance, someone who takes photos is called a photographer, someone who sculpts is a sculpter, someone who robs is a robber, someone who runs from the police is a runner, someone who hides for three days is a wanted fugitive but also a hider.

What do you call those ‘-er’ words? Kind of similar in ways to demonyms but not quite.

1 Answer 1


They are called agent nouns.

A noun denoting someone or something that performs the action of a verb, usually ending in -er or -or, e.g. worker, accelerator.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.