I belive there's a word for this, as I've heard it before, but I can't think of it. If a sibling comes many years after the rest of the pack, what is set sibling called? It doesn't need to be one word, but just something you can call someone.

If this helps, I've heard siblings like that are a product of the mother missing having young kids around, due to only having older children, hence having one many years later.

  • Interesting. I'd never heard of a 'caboose baby'. – Nigel J May 26 '18 at 22:54
  • 1
    How was I supposed to know there was a similar question to mine? It's on another site, meaning when I wrote my question title I could only see questions asked on this site. Not any other site. Also, the answer on that site doesen't really answer my question very well. Nigel's caboose baby did though, so thanks Nigel J. @k1eran – A. Kvåle May 27 '18 at 11:32
  • @A.Kvåle my intention was to help you by referencing a very similar question with some reasonable answers including the caboose baby one. If there is a significant difference between what you need and the ELL question can you edit your question and I’ll remove my close-vote. – k1eran May 27 '18 at 11:47
  • 1
    @k1eran closing somebody's question because it may or may not have an answer on a sister-site is not the fault of the OP. – Mari-Lou A May 27 '18 at 19:39
  • @Mari-LouA & a-kvåle : I have now read the meta post at english.meta.stackexchange.com/q/11322/131620 and I see 18 votes saying ELU questions are standalone and zero saying OP should check ELL. I was over zealous here with the close vote referencing ELL as a duplicate, so I'll retract it and add a comment below instead. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. – k1eran May 28 '18 at 23:15

In my family we refer to him or her as an accident -- though not in front of the parents.

That's a tongue-in-cheek term, of course, and if you're trying to accurately describe someone rather than make a joke, it's probably not applicable.

  • Well, the term I'm looking for is one describing a child that's born a long time after the other children. Whether they're an accident or not is irrelevant, though there's probably a correlation between the two, as parents usually dont intentionally have a child so long after the others. – A. Kvåle May 31 '18 at 20:26
  • these days we say "second marriage" – WendyG Jun 27 '18 at 12:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.