I'm looking for a word that represents a thing/entity whose sole purpose is to attach 2 things together. Apparently attacher isn't an English word. It needs to be generic and can apply to living or non-living things.

EDIT: As suggested a usage could be something that attaches computer processes together or living objects together. The word should not affect the integrity of the objects itself

closed as off-topic by J. Taylor, Edwin Ashworth, lbf, Hot Licks, jimm101 May 24 '18 at 14:56

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    look up words that mean "binder" – J. Taylor May 23 '18 at 22:17
  • 4
    Can you provide an example, or examples, of such a "thing"? Would a tow-rope be one? Perhaps "connector" is your word. – WS2 May 23 '18 at 22:18
  • 1
    ...you need to rewrite your question to reflect what you need. .."binding" need not affect the integrity of the materials bound... "integrator" may work – J. Taylor May 23 '18 at 22:28
  • 1
    ...but you need to supply a context and show what you have already found – J. Taylor May 23 '18 at 22:30
  • 3
    The sole purpose of a link is to connect two other things together (as in a chain). – Nigel J May 23 '18 at 22:37

I suggest the word 'link'.

a. A connecting part, whether in material or immaterial sense; a thing (occasionally a person) serving to establish or maintain a connection; a member of a series or succession; a means of connexion or communication.


a connecting structure

something analogous to a link of chain

a connecting element or factor

Merriam Webster

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.