If I take a record and adjust its time to the past, I backdate it. Is there an equivalent term for adjusting its time to the future? Fordating?

  • 6
    How about "postdating"? – Hot Licks May 23 '18 at 11:55
  • Predicting perhaps? – BladorthinTheGrey May 23 '18 at 12:00
  • 1
    @HotLicks - That's a valid answer; you should post it as such. – Jeff Zeitlin May 23 '18 at 12:12
  • Predating? Not to be confused with predator. – DJohnson May 23 '18 at 12:39
  • I think you should be careful about assuming backdate is a reasonable way to describe changing a date on a (computer-based?) record to some earlier date. The term is already in use for contexts such as His pay rise was backdated to three months earlier - which simply means he would receive (additional) back pay for those three months in his next pay check, because his salary was retrospectively adjusted (cf retrospective legislation, generally thought to be a very bad thing). – FumbleFingers May 23 '18 at 12:56

For cheques/checks it is called post-dating.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.