Is there a dictionary dedicated to word prefixes? I'd like to know more about de-, but there's no uniform meaning; for example, in demystify it signifies a reverse action, while in delimit it's a positive meaning, like set.

1 Answer 1


I don't think there is a dictionary dedicated solely to prefixes. But you can find some common prefixes and their definitions in normal dictionaries. E.g. definitions of the prefix de- may be found in YourDictionary:

  1. away from, off: debar, derail

  2. down: degrade

  3. wholly, entirely: defunct

  4. reverse the action of; undo: defrost, decode

Edit: On the second thought, there are some. You can try searching for "Merriam-Webster's a Dictionary of Prefixes, Suffixes, And Combining Forms". I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links to resources, where you can actually download one though, else I'd give you one.

  • 5
    I'm sure there isn't a "dictionary" dedicated to suffixes, but there is Michael Quinion's excellent Ologies and Isms, which covers all "affixes" (prefixes, suffixes, and infixes). I think he even includes bloody as an "intensifying infix" in the expression abso-bloody-lutely. Commented Oct 10, 2011 at 17:36
  • 1
    Wiktionary covers prefixes just fine. So does etymonline.
    – RegDwigнt
    Commented Oct 11, 2011 at 0:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.