It is probably a type-o as “flight” makes perfect sense here. But this book is full of interesting little words and thought maybe it’s an obscure little synonym (or maybe and old school—or olde English—version of it)?enter image description here

Anthony Nutting, Scramble for Africa, Paperback edition 1994, p 19.

closed as off-topic by JJJ, J. Taylor, Bread, Nigel J, David May 26 '18 at 21:16

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


The word fligh seems to be a misspelling/misprinting of flight. This work by Mr Nutting does not seem to employ any archaic/obsolete spellings of any word.

Although the Oxford English Dictionary lists fligh as a now-obsolete variant spelling of the verb fly sometimes found in Old English, it does not seem relevant here. There is no other word in the excerpt that is not 20th century English spelling.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.