You use this car to avoid harming your new car, so you don't take that much care of it and you don't mind if you spoil it eventually, since it's old and cheap.

I saw this word on a YouTube video but I forgot it.

closed as off-topic by AmE speaker, MetaEd May 16 '18 at 19:27

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    A beater; a hooptie (AmE) – Jim Mack May 16 '18 at 19:17
  • A clunker. Try looking it up. – Xanne May 16 '18 at 20:02
  • Daily driver is a common term. – Gnawme May 16 '18 at 21:02

It's primarily British English, but here's Collins Dictionary...

A runabout is a small car used mainly for short journeys.

I note that they also say In American English, runabout is used of cars with open tops, and they have a separate definition specifically identified as US: A runabout is a small, light boat with a motor. So I'm guessing most Americans wouldn't immediately recognise the BrE without supporting context.

  • Already found it. It's "Beater (car)". Thank you for you effort. – Seu Madruga May 16 '18 at 19:15
  • 1
    Never heard of that one. I see it's in AmE Merriam-Webster, but they equate it with clunker, which I'd say is closer to our jalopy. – FumbleFingers May 16 '18 at 19:19
  • @SeuMadruga A "beater" is an old, cheap car but not specifically a car that you use instead of your new one. Your only car can also be a beater. – MetaEd May 16 '18 at 19:27
  • ... while a runabout can be brand spanking new. – Edwin Ashworth May 16 '18 at 19:48
  • In BrE we use 'banger' rather than 'beater' for an old car. en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/banger – Kate Bunting May 17 '18 at 8:48

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.