For instance, there's a floor and there are four flats on it. Two of them are enclosed with an extra room where both flats can leave their shoes or save supply meters. What do you call this room?

Floor plan

  • 1
    Please explain what you mean by “save supply meters”.
    – Lawrence
    May 14, 2018 at 6:48
  • 1
    Assuming mean what you should call it (broom closet, meter room, etc) and not how (phone, intercom, etc), it might help for you to link to a floor plan that has such a room drawn.
    – Lawrence
    May 14, 2018 at 6:50
  • 3
    Consider "a common area".
    – Xanne
    May 14, 2018 at 6:52
  • It is difficult to explain but very often flats have supply meters outside , somewhere next to the stairwell. So , some people think that it's not good because any hooligan can come and break it down just for a sake of vandalism, so they agree to enclose it and be happy. It's not a hundred percent a supply room this way.
    – Max
    May 14, 2018 at 6:56
  • pp.userapi.com/c834104/v834104655/13a24a/aXpCzF3Uzzg.jpg here's a plan of such a floor
    – Max
    May 14, 2018 at 7:12

2 Answers 2


The above describes a communal area.

Communal areas are those parts of a house, block of flats, street or estate which tenants have a right to use in common with other tenants and for which a landlord is responsible.

Harrogate Council

Fire safety In communal areas of our blocks of flats

Thames Valley Housing

Safety in communal areas

Nottingham Metropolitan

  • Could this just be a Harrogation? May 14, 2018 at 9:59
  • 1
    @EdwinAshworth Harrogance? May 14, 2018 at 10:32
  • Some tenants were evicted, I hear, during an outbreak of Harrogaphobia.
    – Nigel J
    May 14, 2018 at 11:22
  • Seriously, this could be a niche usage from the quote given. It's not, but more evidence is needed. May 14, 2018 at 21:55
  • @EdwinAshworth The term is in common use; we use it in our work with Homeless Hostels for Gloucester City Council. I have added two more references.
    – Nigel J
    May 14, 2018 at 22:49

Typically, a space that is shared between tenants is a common area (or common room). This is often used in the sense of a shared recreational space, but it can also be a generic term for any room or area that is communal in some sense. (It will often be used on blueprints without a designated purpose, aside from the fact that multiple parties can make use of it.)

However, specific instances may be referred to differently—for example, a shared toilet or communal storage. I have not heard of a word or phrase for a space specific to a utility meter—or to shoes . . .

  • Alright, Jason. So it is just called a common room or a utility. I mean in the everyday life. So cool :D
    – Max
    May 14, 2018 at 15:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.