As I understand it, there are singular nouns such as cat and spaceship that need to be preceded with some kind of specifier like an article (a, an, the) or a possessive word (my, Jane's, etc.) or the number "one." When given such a specifier, it can be used in places a noun that doesn't need a specifier can be used. Nouns that don't need specifiers include:

  • Plurals, like cats or spaceships
  • Uncountable nouns, like sugar or generosity
  • Gerunds, like sailing or wallowing, though maybe they aren't technically nouns

Example: "I like [my cat | cats | sugar | sailing]."

In this example, you can see any choice would work. Of course, when a plural is the subject then it will need a different verb.

Example: "[The spaceship | spaceships | generosity | wallowing] [is | are] difficult to get the hang of."

So my question is this. Is there a generic term for the type of phrase that can fill such a blank spot? A noun phrase? A certain type of noun phrase?

As a bonus question, is there a term for the type of specifier that combines with a singular noun to form such a phrase?

And as another bonus question, is there a generic term for a noun that requires no such specifier?

closed as unclear what you're asking by JJJ, Bread, curiousdannii, Nigel J, jimm101 May 24 '18 at 14:07

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Have a look at the zero article and the null article on this site. – Nigel J May 11 '18 at 12:25
  • All right, I think "determiner" may be the answer to my second question. – Kyle Delaney May 11 '18 at 13:32