I wondered what's the appropriate term for the hard plastic cover one so often sees protecting certain products. I took a photo in order to visualise my meaning:


Thank you for your help!

  • 'Hard plastic cover / protective packaging' works. May 9 '18 at 13:16
  • 'Molded plastic packaging' (See images here: google.com/…) May 9 '18 at 13:46
  • Are you referring to the translucent pieces of hard plastic protecting the tips of the knives, or the transparent plastic around all the knives?
    – Lawrence
    May 9 '18 at 14:11
  • @Lawrence referring the the overall packaging, not the plastic tips
    – He7Man7
    May 9 '18 at 15:19

If the plastic is folded back on itself and then sealed at the edges, you may have a clamshell package. If the plastic is bonded to a piece of cardboard, then it’s a blister package, as mentioned by Jim Mack.


  • I gave a plus 1 but after some thought I think more caution might be needed - 'sealed clamshell' perhaps?
    – Tom22
    May 9 '18 at 20:48
  • I looked at serpapackaging.com to see if there was a trade name. It's a very interesting site, since they have videos of all their packing machines in operation. I didn't find a specific device for the heat-sealed clamshell. May 9 '18 at 22:16

This is often called a blister pack as seen at this Wikipedia page.

  • 2
    Blister packs are specifically for multiple instances of small single capsules of a medication. The OP is asking about the packaging of a medium sized manufactured consumer item, like the knives as shown or batteries or small electronics or lots of things, annoyingly difficult to open.
    – Mitch
    May 9 '18 at 14:03
  • @Mitch - That's one use. Look at the portion of the Wiki article labeled "Consumer goods".
    – Jim Mack
    May 9 '18 at 14:07
  • @mitch, the "blister pack" term generally applies to any plastic shell with depth to hold the product, against a flat back. The pill conformation you describe happens to be one kind of blister pack. +1 to this answer, as it would have been my answer
    – user662852
    May 9 '18 at 14:22
  • @user662852, Jim: I had only ever thought of blister packs as those things like for medications that had little bubbles, like blisters, that you push a little pill out of, not for the large things.
    – Mitch
    May 9 '18 at 15:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.