You can use the letters on a standard telephone keypad to encode/decode a number to/from letters, eg

439225563 -> HEY CALL ME

Is there a name from either the result "HEY CALL ME" or the action of converting the number to these letters/words?

2 Answers 2


When some or all of a phone number is converted to letters like this, the letters are often said to be 'mapped' to the numbers:

1-800-724-6837 -> 1-800-PAINTER

The result is said to be a 'phoneword'




Phonewords are mnemonic phrases represented as alphanumeric equivalents of a telephone number. In many countries, the digits on the telephone keypad also have letters assigned. By replacing the digits of a telephone number with the corresponding letters, it is sometimes possible to form a whole or partial word, an acronym, abbreviation, or some other alphanumeric combination.


Although businesses typically choose phone numbers so as to correspond to particular phonewords, it is also possible to go in the other direction, and generate phonewords corresponding to given numbers.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoneword

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.