I use chat programs and often confuse people when I say, "I spoke to…" or "I had a conversation with…" people, when they are remote. People think that I meant that I had a face-to-face or at least a verbal conversation with them. Has English solved this?

Is there a verb for text-based correspondence, that I can substitute for the phrases I normally use to indicate a conversation?

This question is somewhat similar to another question, but it does not really answer my question: "Talk with" vs "talk live with"

  • Can't you text someone? – mahmud k pukayoor May 4 '18 at 16:12
  • 1
    I would include 'online'. I.E. I spoke 'online' to or I had an 'online' conversation with. Since you are referencing 'chatspeak' as it were, perhaps there is an acronym or initialism which can shorten 'online'...if not, create one. :) – Eddie B. True May 4 '18 at 17:35

It's common to say that you messaged someone:

message, v. tr.: to send someone a message, especially in an electronic form

For example:

I messaged Sam on SMS and on Teams, but got no response.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.