I am looking to replace the [] in the sentence:

The regime is showing signs of [power going to their heads].

Namely, I would like to use a single word, or two at most. A scientific-sounding noun would be great. Or if there is no such noun, I would still like to see what is the closest we can get.

I originally considered "autocracy," but it has only a loose connection with power going to heads.

3 Answers 3


The regime is showing signs of megalomania

NOUN obsession with the exercise of power.

  • Oh, that's actually a word. I thought it was just an incubus song! Good one. Apr 24, 2018 at 14:00

Complacency: (disapproving) a feeling of calm satisfaction with your own abilities or situation that prevents you from trying harder.
Cambridge English Dictionary


Arrogance (noun)
Arrogant (adjective): unpleasantly proud and behaving as if you are more important than, or know more than, other people
Cambridge English Dictionary

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.