I'm looking for a word or phrase to describe the area of the park that has swingsets, jungle gyms, and other sorts of children's play equipment.

"They went to the [word or phrase] to go play on the jungle gym."

  • Could you add a geographic tag, this probably varies across the anglosphere.
    – Spagirl
    Apr 22, 2018 at 18:20
  • 2
    In the US it's pretty much always called a "playground".
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 22, 2018 at 19:35
  • UK here, I’d call it the "play park". Or "the swings". Usually a swing is the bare minimum.
    – Pam
    Apr 22, 2018 at 19:51
  • in my neck of the woods, within a school 'playground' we'd call that subjection with equipment 'the play structures' . But at the park, 'plaground' would be that subsection. I would not be surprised if there are regional differences though.
    – Tom22
    Apr 23, 2018 at 0:02
  • @Pam Ha, the reason I asked for a geographic tag was for the use of ‘play area’ vs ‘play park’ in the UK
    – Spagirl
    Apr 23, 2018 at 6:33

1 Answer 1



An outdoor area provided for children to play in, especially at a school or public park.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.