The TV show Family Guy very often, usually multiple times per episode, will cut away from the main plot to show a weird flashback or just a miniature story that is completely unrelated to the main plot even when it's framed as having been a flashback. Family Guy isn't the only show/movie that does things like this it just seems to be the one that does it the most often.

Now, I don't know where I picked the term up from, but for the longest time, I've been referring to these asides as mise-en-scenes. But I'd just recently looked up a bunch of different definitions for that word, and it doesn't seem to quite fit. (edit: it seems this section is confusing people. I'm not asking what mise-en-scene means, I'm asking what the word for the thing I've described in the first paragraph is)

But then, what is the proper term for these?

  • These are neither non-sequitur nor mis-en-scene. They might be danglers, subplots, stories within a story, red herrings, metareferences... - it really depends on what is going on and whether it is really unrelated or possibly related in some subtle way etc.
    – msam
    Apr 12, 2018 at 15:01
  • @msam "These are neither non-sequitur" I'm specifically asking about the non-sequiturs. "nor mis-en-scene" Yeah, that's why I'm asking the question, because I realized I'd been using the wrong term. Apr 12, 2018 at 15:05
  • 1
    Mise-en-scène is way more general than you're using it. You're talking about one particular technique of storytelling, and mise en scene is about the whole mechanics of putting a story into a theater or film production. It comes from the french meaning of 'director of a theater/film production'. I think what you are looking for is a word that encompasses flashbacks, asides, irrelevant vignettes, etc. Mise en scene is for the whole directorial enterprise, not for this one little story telling technique.
    – Mitch
    Apr 12, 2018 at 15:15
  • @Mitch Yeah, that's why I've asked the question... Sorry, was it confusing for me to mention my motivating reason for asking? Apr 12, 2018 at 15:16
  • This may actually end up being irrelevant, but here's a wiki list of terms used in movies. More relevant would be a list of story-telling techniques.
    – Mitch
    Apr 12, 2018 at 15:21

1 Answer 1


You already gave the answer. The show itself, when it's being self-referential, calls these


The term is more general than that, though, according to the article on it in Wikipedia:

"... a cutaway scene is the interruption of a scene with the insertion of another scene, generally unrelated or only peripherally related to the original scene."

That article mentions Family Guy and its "cutaway gags".

  • 1
    Nice! Sometimes there's not a word for the thing you want. But it is so satisfying when there is.
    – Mitch
    Apr 12, 2018 at 15:30
  • They are ironic cutaways.
    – AmI
    Apr 12, 2018 at 19:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.