In Arabic , we have a way to call people using using their child name or even a name they chose. The name will be as follows :

(Abu)+ name of child Abu means father of

(Um)+ name of child Um means mother of

Is there a similar way to call people in English?

  • Hello, Rani2Add. Please include the research you’ve done. Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic. In any case, basic research is required to be shown. For instance, this Wikipedia article mentions teknonymy in quite a few languages, but fails to mention English. Apr 9, 2018 at 8:39
  • 1
    Wikipedia articles may sometimes be incomplete. Asking here may add some useful information to my knowledge
    – Rani2Add
    Apr 9, 2018 at 8:58
  • 3
    Questions not including reasonable research on ELU are always incomplete. / If you did not know the term 'teknonymy', 'reasonable research' would be assessed very differently. / You could also try the WorldWideWords article, which appears near the top of Google hits for the word. Apr 9, 2018 at 9:06

1 Answer 1


You can say, for example, 'Dylan's mum' or 'Jessica's dad' to describe someone. You wouldn't normally address them that way. Sometimes children might address their friends' parents that way, when they don't know better.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.