A person who is obsessed with British culture is an Anglophile. Is there a word for a person who is obsessed with American culture (that is, the United States)?


Americanophile, according to Merriam Webster:

a person who greatly admires or favors America or things from American culture

The word is also listen in the Oxford Dictionary Online.

Attribution:"Americanophile." Merriam-Webster. Accessed April 09, 2018. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Americanophile.

  • 1
    Was just about to answer this :)
    – JBis
    Apr 9 '18 at 0:11
  • 4
    Thank you! I'm embarrassed by how obvious the answer was ...
    – Anna K.
    Apr 9 '18 at 0:22
  • 2
    Nothing to be embarrassed about considering how uncommon this word is. There may be a better one out there still.
    – Thilo
    Apr 9 '18 at 6:36
  • 4
    I see many google results for Yankophile, but it's more slang-y. Apr 9 '18 at 7:22
  • 1
    @DylanBrams feel free to add that as an answer.
    – JJJ
    Apr 9 '18 at 13:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.