This question already has an answer here:

A person is their parent's child always, but past an arbitrary age, it's no longer appropriate to call them a "child".

I'm familiar with the term "Offspring", but that sounds technical, is there a more conversational synonym?

marked as duplicate by Laurel, Nigel J, Edwin Ashworth, JJJ, jimm101 Apr 7 '18 at 23:45

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    Please provide an example sentence where this term would be used. – Mari-Lou A Apr 7 '18 at 6:15
  • 2
    Child is gender neutral, non-technical, and means a son or a daughter of any age. You don't stop being somebody's child when you reach thirty. Although son/daughter seems more dignified for anyone over 50. – Mari-Lou A Apr 7 '18 at 6:19
  • Adult child works in the neutral sense, but the same term is also used in at least a couple of derogatory senses. – Lawrence Apr 7 '18 at 10:46
  • I agree with @Mari-LouA about the gender-specific forms. X & Sons is one formula for family-business names, though X & Daughters is rare. – Lawrence Apr 7 '18 at 10:51

The legal term is "issue". This may be more technical than you want, but it is age-invariant and gender-neutral.

  • 1
    As you say, issue is age invariant. OP asks for a word to refer to one’s grown children. – Jim Apr 7 '18 at 6:43
  • fair enough. At first read I had thought he/she was not necessarily looking for a conversational term. It is, indeed, what lawyers would use which is both age- and gender-neutral. But in speaking, 'grown children', 'adult children', or 'sons and daughters' seems to be the only real choices. – eSurfsnake Apr 7 '18 at 22:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.