XS sounds like excess, B4 sounds like before, XLNC sounds like excellency, etc. What are these wordplays called?

  • 2
    You might be interested in William Steig's book C D B?
    – simchona
    Oct 2, 2011 at 22:42

2 Answers 2


After some googling, I found the term grammagram referring to this type of wordplay. While not as common/official as rebus, this term is much more specific, since a rebus is usually mostly pictures, with few letters. It is an RL-coined (Richard Lederer) word, apparently (see this thefreelibrary entry), which, together with the comparative rarity of grammagrams themselves, would explain its uncommon status.

Personally, I'd use it, though rebus (or letter rebus) would be more widely understood.

  • 2
    The OED doesn't have 'grammagram', but it does have ‘logogram’ – ‘a sign or character representing a word'. It's not clear if the definition can be extended to cover more than one sign or character, but it seems pretty close. Oct 3, 2011 at 14:02

That sort of wordplay is called a rebus.

  • 1
    A rebus usually has pictures as well. Oct 3, 2011 at 13:53
  • True, but pictures are not required to make it a rebus; at the wikipedia link you can see some examples which are all-letter rebuses, just as the OP's are.
    – Hellion
    Oct 3, 2011 at 14:03
  • I agree that rebus fits the bill, albeit loosely. I suppose one could say letter rebus if one wanted to make it more specific.
    – Daniel
    Oct 3, 2011 at 17:15

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.