The noun invest appears to be in use as a short form of investigative area in meteorology [1]. I recently heard several nonnative speakers use it in a financial context as a short form of investment. Is this common among native speakers?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invest_(meteorology)

1 Answer 1


Invest as a noun was listed as obsolete by OED in 1900.

A payment made to the Pope or Head of the church by a bishop or the like at his investiture.

1533–4 Act 25 Hen. VIII c. 20 §1 Yeldyng vnto the kinges highnes..all suche dueties, rightes, and inuestes, as before time hath ben accustomed to be paid for any such Archbishopricke or Bishopricke.

Using it as meaning investment could be a form of nounifying the verb (“It’s a big ask to make such an invest”), but it’s more likely simply to be jargon or slang, shortening the long word investment in much the same way as a specification is often referred to as a spec [pronounced speck].

Ngrams don't have any data for invest as a noun, which would either mean that it’s very recent or that the usage has never appeared in English publications. That non-appearance may be due to its being a foreign-English construct, or that it’s too recent to have caught on for print.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.