When the interlocutor says a word or something that you do not understand or that needs more clarification, so you repeat that part expecting them to explain further, is there a term in grammar or an expression that refers to this in English?

e.g. Harry Potter:

A: It's Alistair Moody, the aurour!
B: Aurour?!

e.g. Game of Thrones:

Daenerys Targaryan: Where's Daario Naharis? Where is Grey-worm?
Ser Selmy: They are gambling, your grace.
Daenerys Targaryan: Gambling?!

  • 3
    Ehm,. "echoing"? I'm not sure there's a specific word for doing that with the purpose of having it clarified.
    – Mr Lister
    Mar 28, 2018 at 16:53
  • "Gambling?!", queried Daenerys. Mar 28, 2018 at 17:01
  • 1
    A hypernym is echo question. But these can also have different forms: 'I put it in the chifforobe.' ... 'You put it where? Mar 28, 2018 at 20:39
  • I'd probably use something along the lines of "restate".
    – Hot Licks
    May 28, 2018 at 2:01

2 Answers 2


"repeating it back to them" or "repeating it for clarification" seem like reasonable expressions that many English speakers would understand.

You could also use the words "questioning" or "questioned".

"Gambling?!" questioned Daenerys.


"Aurour?!" said Harry, questioning.

  • Use citations in answers, if you please.
    – lbf
    Apr 27, 2018 at 17:45
  • What citations do you propose? I'm referencing the original poster. The example sentences I presented were constructed by me. Apr 28, 2018 at 23:17

When you are "repeating something in order to emphasize it or make it very clear to people," you are reiterating what they said.

  • That is completely accurate. It is also completely irrelevant.
    – AndyT
    Sep 26, 2018 at 9:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.