Is there a term for words like "said", "asked", or "replied" appearing in a dialogue?

For example:

"Where did you go," asked the turtle.

"I went to the mall," replied the rabbit.

Is there a technical term describing those words in the above dialogue?

  • 1
    These are all in the category called "Speech act verbs", which is much larger than you might suspect. Consider snap, cackle, and pipe up, for instance: "Get out!", he snapped; "I've got you now", she cackled; "I know where he went!", piped up one child. – John Lawler Mar 28 '18 at 1:03

It's the narration that accompanies the dialogue.

narration - noun - "the act or process or an instance of narrating"

narrate - verb - to speak in accompaniment of (a film, television programme, etc)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.