On a drama or stage show, there's always a person takes care of the lighting effects, but I don't know how to express that occupation. Does anyone know what it's called?

  • 1
    'Lighting technician' or 'lighting tech' works for a 'lighting designer' or 'master electrician'. Wikipedia.
    – Nigel J
    Commented Mar 21, 2018 at 3:27
  • Is there an shorter noun of 'Lighting technician'? Like 'lighting guy' , 'lightman' or something else ?
    – naive231
    Commented Mar 21, 2018 at 3:32
  • Well 'leccy' is an abbreviation for electrician, but the word 'lighty' is already used as urban or slang to describe someone of a dark-skinned race whose skin is lighter than usual.
    – Nigel J
    Commented Mar 21, 2018 at 4:00

2 Answers 2


The term "lighting technician" would probably be apt for a theatre or stage show.

People who work on stage lighting are commonly referred to as lighting technicians.

Stage lighting

You asked for a shorter of more informal term, there is also the term gaffer.


A gaffer in the motion picture industry and on a television crew is the head electrician, responsible for the execution (and sometimes the design) of the lighting plan for a production.

Wikipedia link

However the definition of gaffer seems to always be given as a person on a movie or television set.

Also interesting:

In video, television, and film productions, lighting technicians work under the direction of the gaffer or chief lighting technician who takes their direction from the cinematographer.

Lighting technician

Also, note that "gaffer" isn't that common outside its respective industry. So if you're going to use it for a casual/everyday audience/readership, they probably won't know what you're talking about.

  • Yeah, gaffer is really a casual word for lighting tech. I'm not going to use it. I got another word calls 'lampy'. It looks pretty good and intuitive. Is this word has any unfriendly meanings?
    – naive231
    Commented Mar 21, 2018 at 5:16
  • @naive232 No unfriendly meanings that I know of, it's just that I've never heard of the word. Are you writing a novel or something?
    – Zebrafish
    Commented Mar 21, 2018 at 5:22
  • I found the 'lampy' at wiki page:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighting_technician
    – naive231
    Commented Mar 22, 2018 at 6:22
  • @naive231 Nice work. I'd never heard of it.
    – Zebrafish
    Commented Mar 22, 2018 at 6:24

I've always known them as Lampies (Lampie singular). Here's an example in use:

On Stage Lighting presents an essential guide to stage lighting jargon and UK lampie slang for anyone who needs to understand what these weirdos are talking about or needs to blag it as a member the LX department.

  • 1
    Is this word actually in use, though? If you could add a definition, it would be wonderful; the next best thing would probably be adding a few example sentences and giving us some context as to where and when it was used, and possibly whether it's an 'insider term'. Commented Nov 15, 2023 at 22:33
  • I recall hearing that term several times about 40 years ago. I think it was when I was hanging with some theatre folks.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Nov 16, 2023 at 14:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.