On a drama or stage show, there's always a person takes care of the lighting effects, but I don't know how to express that occupation. Does anyone know what it's called?

  • 'Lighting technician' or 'lighting tech' works for a 'lighting designer' or 'master electrician'. Wikipedia. – Nigel J Mar 21 '18 at 3:27
  • Is there an shorter noun of 'Lighting technician'? Like 'lighting guy' , 'lightman' or something else ? – naive231 Mar 21 '18 at 3:32
  • Well 'leccy' is an abbreviation for electrician, but the word 'lighty' is already used as urban or slang to describe someone of a dark-skinned race whose skin is lighter than usual. – Nigel J Mar 21 '18 at 4:00

The term "lighting technician" would probably be apt for a theatre or stage show.

People who work on stage lighting are commonly referred to as lighting technicians.

Stage lighting

You asked for a shorter of more informal term, there is also the term gaffer.


A gaffer in the motion picture industry and on a television crew is the head electrician, responsible for the execution (and sometimes the design) of the lighting plan for a production.

Wikipedia link

However the definition of gaffer seems to always be given as a person on a movie or television set.

Also interesting:

In video, television, and film productions, lighting technicians work under the direction of the gaffer or chief lighting technician who takes their direction from the cinematographer.

Lighting technician

Also, note that "gaffer" isn't that common outside its respective industry. So if you're going to use it for a casual/everyday audience/readership, they probably won't know what you're talking about.

  • Yeah, gaffer is really a casual word for lighting tech. I'm not going to use it. I got another word calls 'lampy'. It looks pretty good and intuitive. Is this word has any unfriendly meanings? – naive231 Mar 21 '18 at 5:16
  • @naive232 No unfriendly meanings that I know of, it's just that I've never heard of the word. Are you writing a novel or something? – Zebrafish Mar 21 '18 at 5:22
  • I found the 'lampy' at wiki page:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighting_technician – naive231 Mar 22 '18 at 6:22
  • @naive231 Nice work. I'd never heard of it. – Zebrafish Mar 22 '18 at 6:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.