How exactly do these kinds of compound words work?

"Okun's Law" and "Philips Curve" rather than "Okun Law" and "Philips' Curve"?

Is there any grammar book I can look for?

marked as duplicate by Edwin Ashworth, choster, user240918, jimm101, Skooba Mar 21 '18 at 12:10

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


There is no rule, different writers choose different styles. Without moving from my desk I can find the following examples of references to the same thing:

  1. Bayes Rule
  2. Bayes' Rule
  3. Bayes's Rule

and then the same all over again but calling it a theorem rather than a rule.

If the proper name is not in a possessive form, then sometimes the definite article is used, as in "The Bayes Rule" but even that is not standardised.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.