Usually this sort of word is a trademarked name, such as eBay or BlackBerry. Is there a word that describes capitalization mid-word?


This type of capitalization is best known as camel case, at least in programming jargon. But according to the Wikipedia, the original name of the practice, used in media studies, grammars and the Oxford English Dictionary, was "medial capitals".

| improve this answer | |
  • +1 Are you sure this really only for programmers? It doesn't look like it. – Daniel Sep 28 '11 at 19:51
  • Fair enough. I've edited the answer. – Otavio Macedo Sep 28 '11 at 19:59
  • 9
    I believe that camel case is more specific than medial capitals; it means using capital letters instead of spaces as word separators. So BlackBerry is camel case only if it's considered to be made up of "black" + "berry", rather than a weird spelling of "blackberry". – Marthaª Sep 28 '11 at 20:28
  • 13
    I am a programmer. I would like to make a small correction. eBay is camelCase whereas BlackBerry is PascalCase in programming jargons – Manish Sinha Sep 28 '11 at 20:43
  • 1
    @ManishSinha I've heard CamelCase used both ways. – Joe Z. Feb 22 '13 at 13:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.