What is the term for when a scene in a film shows e.g. the Eiffel tower so that the viewer knows that the scene takes place in Paris. I know the term exists but I cannot recall it.

  • A "landmark shot" seems too obvious, but would get the point across.
    – Zan700
    Mar 14, 2018 at 13:28

1 Answer 1


It's called an establishing shot.

An establishing shot in filmmaking and television production sets up, or establishes the context for a scene by showing the relationship between its important figures and objects. It is generally a long or extreme-long shot at the beginning of a scene indicating where, and sometimes when, the remainder of the scene takes place. - Wikipedia

Establishing shots may use famous landmarks to indicate the city where the action is taking place or has moved to, such as the Brandenburg Gate to identify Berlin, Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty to identify New York City, the London Eye or Big Ben to identify London, the Sydney Opera House or the Harbour Bridge to identify Sydney, the Hollywood Sign to indicate Los Angeles, the Eiffel Tower and/or the Arc de Triomphe to identify Paris, the Shibuya Scramble Crossing to identify Tokyo, or the Las Vegas Strip to identify Las Vegas. - ibid

  • 1
    Also called an establisher.
    – KarlG
    Mar 14, 2018 at 13:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.