Usually the sizes are to be measured in any of the units. But to our amazement the paper size is called as FOOL'S CAP. This is not defining any measurement exactly but it throw a vague idea about the exact size of the paper both in length and width. So kindly enlighten me with your thorough knowledge for clearing my long time blur. Thanks.

closed as off-topic by Edwin Ashworth, jimm101, Nigel J, NVZ, Kris Mar 14 '18 at 7:59

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


Foolscap is a British pre-metric paper size so named for the fool's cap and bells watermark that appeared on sheets of paper of this size beginning in fifteenth century Germany. Usage in England ca. 1700.

  • 1
    To my knowledge and experience, this answer is technically correct albeit brief, undeserving of a down vote without comment. – Stan Mar 13 '18 at 19:48
  • The linked paragraph says 'unsubstantiated anecdotes' and 'citation needed', so not exactly a brilliant find, in my opinion. – Nigel J Mar 14 '18 at 1:53
  • Yeah, sounds like a folk etymology but it isn't. The citation needed on Wikipedia refers to the Rump Parliament and Royal Arms. Added further reference to usage in England rather than just the watermark. – KarlG Mar 14 '18 at 7:57
  • The Q is "Why"? – Kris Mar 14 '18 at 8:00
  • How does my answer not explain that? Imported German paper in that size with that watermark = name for paper size even when later paper is cheap stuff with no watermark made in England. – KarlG Mar 14 '18 at 8:05

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.