I am doing homework for a newspaper report about Neil Armstrong and i need a word that means "someone who makes history" or "marking a time in history". Please answer so I get a good grade, really confused right now.

  • 'Archetypes' 'forerunners' 'pioneers' 'historical figures' are just a few which would be suitable. Welcome to EL&U.
    – Nigel J
    Mar 13 '18 at 17:16

You might consider using a word history-maker (history maker)

A person who influences the course of history or does something spectacular or worthy of remembrance.

Definition is from here.

The greatest history makers in our time are not politicians and statesmen, but inventors, entrepreneurs, and others who are transforming the technological base of civilization and whose search for new markets is leading us into a more global economy.

Example is from here.

  • 1
    Probably the best answer, but probably too obvious to give as an answer. Mar 13 '18 at 18:48
  • @Edwin Ashworth, I totally agree that "Archetype" is a much better answer!
    – Konstantin
    Mar 13 '18 at 19:43

As suggested, Archetype:

1 : the original pattern or model of which all things of the same type are representations or copies : prototype

  • … the House of Commons, the archetype of all the representative assemblies which now meet … —Thomas Babington Macaulay

; also : a perfect example

  • He is the archetype of a successful businessman.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.