The word for the sound that the wick of the bomb makes (in the movies) while it is being burned.

He lit a wick of the bomb and started running away while the wick was ______ (sizzling? crackling?).

  • 1
    "He lit the wick of the bomb and started to run as it fizzed."
    – Heather
    Mar 13, 2018 at 13:58
  • 1
    I would agree with you, Nigel, but 'sparkling' is more visual than it is auditory. I think he's looking for an onomatopoeia.
    – Heather
    Mar 13, 2018 at 14:00
  • @Heather you are correct
    – Eduard
    Mar 13, 2018 at 14:01

2 Answers 2


"Fizz" or "fizzle" is the most similar onomatopoeia I can think of, as it describes the sound a sodie pop would make when opened. Perhaps even "hiss" - that makes it sound more sinister. Otherwise, I think crackling and sizzling are also okay choices, though they may sound a bit dramatic for the actual noise a burning wick would make. That would be a good way to spice up the drama and tension in your piece, though!


From personal experience, a bomb fuse hisses (sssssss) as it burns. This is true of both Jetex™ (commercial brand) or ones I've made with candle wicks soaked in saltpeter and dried. Alternately, iron filings can be used when mixed with white glue and dried.

Edit: Homemade fuses burn irregularly and occasionally can be heard to "crackle" and "snap" as they progress.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.