This question already has an answer here:

This might be a very straightforward question. I am looking for a word to describe an author who is going through a very creating phase and is churning out a lot of work. I am unable to recollect a very commonly used adjective for this. Usage might look like:

From 1905 to 1908 he published several short stories and novels. He was a very _______ writer during that time.

marked as duplicate by curiousdannii, Edwin Ashworth single-word-requests Mar 3 '18 at 9:46

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


The particular word that fits the blank there is prolific¹.

If it’s a sustained, and especially unique, period you might call it their golden² years or golden age¹ (sometimes capitalised).

¹ Cambridge English Dictionary.

² Oxford Living Dictionaries.

  • 1
    I can't believe I couldn't remember prolific :) – Anoop Ramakrishna Mar 3 '18 at 2:45
  • It's often hard to search for a word using the meaning, otherwise this site probably wouldn't get half the traffic it does. – Will Crawford Mar 3 '18 at 2:49

A prolific writer, artist, or composer produces a large number of works.

Prolific is a very commonly used adjective for this.

  • Sorry, had to give it to the first one to answer it. – Anoop Ramakrishna Mar 3 '18 at 2:46
  • It is possible to wait awhile to see if there's a "better" answer :o) – Will Crawford Mar 3 '18 at 2:48
  • You answered the question sufficiently and a little sooner, so you definitely deserve the reward. – Bread Mar 3 '18 at 2:52

You might consider "copious" if perhaps it was the volume of his works produced but not the most fruitful of his works.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.