I am looking for a way to categorize these different ways a given word can be said to convey completely different emotions in different contexts, and I feel like there is some proper term for it that I don't know about.

For instance, you could say "Hi" in a very sarcastic way to convey a sense of arrogance, you could say "Hi" in a lower voice through your teeth to convey anger and contempt, or you could say "Hi" in a joyous way to convey that you enjoy seeing someone, or you could say "Hi" in an earnest way to convey meeting someone new in a professional environment.


I think that the word you are looking for is "tone", and more specifically "expressive tone".

  • Well tone in audio already means the relative pitch, that's the problem. – John Joe Feb 28 '18 at 12:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.