enter image description here

The entrance to a site from the road is being recessed and has a drop off zone in front of it. There is an architectural term for this type of entry. Can anyone help me out with that?

  • Welcome to EL&U. We can give you answers the general public might accept, like driveway, but if you need a technical term, you are likely to be better-off asking subject matter experts, rather than language experts. What research have you attempted thus far?
    – choster
    Feb 28 '18 at 3:12
  • yeah I need the technical term and it, being the actual term I thought maybe someone here could suggest me some. I believe some of your language experts might know that. in general they just say drop off zone or hoarded area but I need to know the name of the entrance with this drop off area in the front.
    – Ashwin
    Feb 28 '18 at 7:05
  • From the nature of either the Question or the graphic, I guess you're at least something close to a qualified architect; is that right? Then what did your colleagues or teachers say, please? Look at the wording of your own Question to see this isn't about general English… Mar 14 '18 at 22:59

If it's covered with a roof, I believe the architectural term is "porte-cochère" (from French).

With no roof though, I'm not sure. Colloquially, it would just be called something like "driveway," "drop off area," or "valet parking zone."


A drop-off zone at an elementary school may be called

kiss n go

  • I'm not sure that "Kiss & Go" is the technical term OP is looking for.
    – Laurel
    Mar 30 '18 at 21:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.