Is there a noun for an additional portion of food that you take / ask for, when you are done with what you have been served, but still want more.

I am almost done with my plate, can I have an ________ (addition?)?

  • 'Can I have some / Is there any more, please' is idiomatic. Commented Feb 26, 2018 at 9:29

3 Answers 3


You can ask for a refill, which is more appropriate. "Can I have a refill? I'm almost done with the noodles!"

  • 1
    Stereotypes about nacho cheese and ranch dressing notwithstanding, it would sound very strange indeed to ask for a refill of anything other than a beverage or condiment in AmE. You might ask for a refill of your coffee or ketchup, but not your soup or your sundae, much less your chicken roast or your chile relleno.
    – choster
    Commented Feb 26, 2018 at 16:59

"Serve", "helping" or "seconds" (in order from most formal to least formal)

As in:

  • May I please have another serve?
  • Can I have another helping?
  • Can I have seconds?

("seconds", in this case, is short for "second helping")

When referring to drinks one generally asks for a "refill", but with solid food we ask for a second serve/helping

  • 'Serve' in the sense of 'serving' is flagged as an Australian usage in Collins. OP does not add the 'Australian English' requirement. Commented Feb 26, 2018 at 9:41
  • 1
    "Second helping" would be standard in British English. Commented Feb 26, 2018 at 17:02

In the example sentence I would just use "another".

I am almost done with my plate, can I have another?

In more general terms, I agree with Smoke's answer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.