Is there a noun for an additional portion of food that you take / ask for, when you are done with what you have been served, but still want more.

I am almost done with my plate, can I have an ________ (addition?)?

  • 'Can I have some / Is there any more, please' is idiomatic. – Edwin Ashworth Feb 26 '18 at 9:29

You can ask for a refill, which is more appropriate. "Can I have a refill? I'm almost done with the noodles!"

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Stereotypes about nacho cheese and ranch dressing notwithstanding, it would sound very strange indeed to ask for a refill of anything other than a beverage or condiment in AmE. You might ask for a refill of your coffee or ketchup, but not your soup or your sundae, much less your chicken roast or your chile relleno. – choster Feb 26 '18 at 16:59

"Serve", "helping" or "seconds" (in order from most formal to least formal)

As in:

  • May I please have another serve?
  • Can I have another helping?
  • Can I have seconds?

("seconds", in this case, is short for "second helping")

When referring to drinks one generally asks for a "refill", but with solid food we ask for a second serve/helping

| improve this answer | |
  • 'Serve' in the sense of 'serving' is flagged as an Australian usage in Collins. OP does not add the 'Australian English' requirement. – Edwin Ashworth Feb 26 '18 at 9:41
  • 1
    "Second helping" would be standard in British English. – Kate Bunting Feb 26 '18 at 17:02

In the example sentence I would just use "another".

I am almost done with my plate, can I have another?

In more general terms, I agree with Smoke's answer.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.