MANY years ago in the 1960s, a middle-aged friend of mine from England, used the expression that he'd muckled on to something. Meaning that he'd grabbed it like a bulldog. Anyone have any idea of where that came from?


It appears to be a regional, AmE usage:


To grab on to an object, usually with a great deal of force. May also be used figuratively to indicate a strong attraction for an object or person. Ex: "When I saw her down the bar, I muckled right on to her." Origin: Downeast Maine.

(Online slang dictionary)


(US, dialectal) To latch onto something with the mouth.

From: 1954, Elizabeth Ogilvie, The Dawning of the Day‎, page 199:

  • And how'd she get such a holt on you, Terence Campion, let alone the way she's muckled onto those Bennetts?


  • 1
    There are some attestations on the Wiktionary entry, too. en.wiktionary.org/wiki/muckle – kfinity Feb 22 '18 at 20:21
  • Despite Wiktionary’s categorisation, it would appear not to be exclusively American, given that the person whose usage of the word apparently triggered the question was English. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Feb 22 '18 at 21:20
  • 1
    @JanusBahsJacquet - OP sludge probably give more details about who used the term, in any case the scottish usage doesn’t have this connotation, which appears to have evolved in America. alphadictionary.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6578 – user 66974 Feb 22 '18 at 21:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.