Picture of a clip holding paper

I want to search for images of this clamp. What do you call this in English?

  • Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat. – tchrist Mar 17 '18 at 13:24

I think the term is bulldog clip:

  • a small metal object that shuts tightly to hold papers together.

(MacMillan Dictionary)

Bulldog clip (British)

  • A strong sprung metal device with two flat plates that close so as to hold papers together.


enter image description here

  • 10
    Please don't vandalise your answer. I understand that you no longer want to participate in the discussion surrounding it, however flagging your post would have been sufficient. I think if you highlight that your answer is specific to British English, then you should be fine. I'll back you up on that. – Matt E. Эллен Feb 23 '18 at 16:24
  • 5
    I generally think of bulldog clips as a similar but distinct design, as shown on wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldog_clip – fectin Feb 23 '18 at 23:38
  • 11
    The problem isn't about British/American English. It's that the item is not a Bulldog Clip, it's a Foldback Clip. Not a matter of brand name. Quite different construction. Some sources confuse the two. Let's not perpetuate the confusion! – Laurence Payne Feb 24 '18 at 14:21
  • 7
    @DavidRicherby If you think the term applies to more than British English that' fine, but I'm 100% certain that the picture is of a bulldog clip. that's what I've called them ever since I encountered them and I didn't learn it in a vaccum. – Matt E. Эллен Feb 26 '18 at 9:18
  • 6
    @DavidRicherby It's called a bulldog clip in the UK. If you ask the average administrator for a bulldog clip, this is what you'll be given. If you try to buy a bulldog clip, this is what comes up. That might not be its correct name, but that's what it's called. – Separatrix Feb 26 '18 at 11:41

Binder clip, also known as a foldback or banker's clip.

enter image description here

It is called a binder clip because the bent metal clips may be removed, creating a semi-permanent binding (see right).

  • 53
    Colloquially, I believe binder clip is far more commonly used in the U.S. as compared to bulldog clip (a name which I've never heard used before). – Sean Pianka Feb 22 '18 at 18:11
  • 32
    I am an AE-speaker with limited exposure to BE and had never encountered "bulldog clip" until just now. I find it curious that the asker tagged their question as pertaining to AE, but accepted an answer based on BE usage. – njuffa Feb 22 '18 at 18:24
  • 16
    To be honest, before I looked it up, I just called it one of those big black paperclip thingies. – KarlG Feb 22 '18 at 18:32
  • 18
    @SeanPianka Bulldog clip is a British name, it's not wrong or inferior in any shape or form to binder clip a term I had never heard of, until today that is. – Mari-Lou A Feb 22 '18 at 20:22
  • 16
    For what it's worth, I am an American who always thought those were called "bulldog clips" and had no idea that was considered to be a British term. – Mark Foskey Feb 23 '18 at 4:37

This is a Bulldog Clip

Bulldog clip

so called because it is a brand name registered in 1944.

The type of clip in question is much later and inherited the name in some places and inherited the locally-applied name elsewhere. Sometimes it's called a "fold-back" clip.

I'd suggest the precise type has has a name that varies depending on the audience - and it's a little unclear whether OP is interested in the precise type pictured or the name(s) for all clips that would fulfill this function.

OTOH, it's not a paper-clip.

  • 1
    What about this:ldoceonline.com/dictionary/bulldog-clip – user240918 Feb 23 '18 at 15:29
  • 2
    @user5768790 : dictionary definitions are fine if you want to know what is meant by a word or phrase, but not when you need to find a word or phrase that means something. A bit like "help" functions nowadays - only useful once you happen on a keyword. "Bulldog" is a proprietary eponym - a proprietary word that has become synonymous with a function, like "Xerox=photocopy=photostat" or "Hoover=vacuum-cleaner". You might say you "vacuum" the floor or you "hoover" the floor and be just as well understood. You wouldn't say you "Dyson" the floor, though. – Magoo Feb 23 '18 at 16:01
  • 5
    It would probably be called a "Bulldog Clip" as that is the name that has been used for decades for a device with a similar function that has largely been replaced by the clip that you originally posted. The usage would not be universally understood, but I doubt that any term would be in this instance. Were you to send ten people out in ten different locations on a mission to buy some "Bulldog Clips" or any other term that has been suggested, I would not be suprised at the variety of objects that would be returned. – Magoo Feb 23 '18 at 16:10
  • 3
    +1 for the valuable and interesting history on "bulldog clip"! – endemic Feb 24 '18 at 22:09
  • 2
    @Magoo then you should amend your answer to make that clearer. It reads like a headline stating that OP's clip is a bulldog clip. – Michael Feb 26 '18 at 18:02

In Australia, I'm used to them being called Butterfly Clips. Since then, the same name has been attributed to a certain type of hair clips, however.

  • 7
    As an Australian, I've only ever heard these described as bulldog clips. – Jeremy Visser Feb 23 '18 at 22:18

protected by choster Feb 23 '18 at 15:22

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.