Let's say there is a Law in my country and I think it should be "abolished", what is the proper word to use for asking that ? I tough of : eliminate, get rid off, eradicate, erase, abolish, terminate. But I don't know which word is the correct "law" vocabulary to use.

Example : "The Law of Gravity should be abolished because it never was voted inside Canadian Parliament."

I'm trying to write an official letter in English, and yes, I am a French Canadian :)

Thanks for your help,


closed as off-topic by Edwin Ashworth, Drew, Rob_Ster, Nigel J, RaceYouAnytime Feb 14 '18 at 2:13

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Laws are rescinded or abolished. It was never voted ON in the Canadian Parliament. – Lambie Feb 12 '18 at 21:17
  • Abolish is likely the best choice here, because, as you say, the law of gravity was never passed by parliamentary vote. Both rescind, revoke, and repeal are used to describe getting rid of a law, but they all imply that the law is actually written into the books, which the law of gravity isn’t. Abolish is broader and can be used for any kind of system that’s gotten rid of. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Feb 12 '18 at 21:23
  • I don't know if you're trying to be humorous, but natural laws are discovered (and perhaps what were formerly thought to be laws may be disproved); they are neither passed nor repealed. – Edwin Ashworth Feb 12 '18 at 22:21
  • Yes of course this is humour ! But it can be serious humour. It has to be made appropriatly. – Séb Cô Feb 12 '18 at 22:34
  • A mix of irony, exaggeration, and some elliptical phrasing? Not a native speaker but consider the total rephrase: Just like the Law of Gravity doesn't exist because it was never made into an act of Parliament. Cheers! – user98955 Feb 13 '18 at 6:35


Uk legislation is marked as repealed on the government website

"The Law of Gravity should be repealed because it never was voted inside Canadian Parliament."

  • 2
    Why has this been downvoted? Is it because it gives a UK answer? The answer is certainly accurate - UK laws (Acts specifically) are repealed. Very occasionally an Act will be rescinded (which means removed as if it had never had effect, as opposed to repealed, which means they no longer have effect). – Kiloran_speaking Feb 12 '18 at 21:28
  • 1
    Yep, the same term is used in the US. – Hot Licks Feb 12 '18 at 21:50
  • 1
    You do get "drive-by shooters" on the site who downvote without leaving any explanation. It says more about them than it does about you, Ned. It is only with the most outrageous or offensive answers that I will use a downvote. Anyway +1 for a good answer. – WS2 Feb 12 '18 at 22:49
  • This should confirm your answer can apply to Canada. Another bit you may be aware of is that you can use "in the House" to mean the in the Parliament of Canada in context with a British type of parliamentary system, if the syntax allows for it; in any case House with the initial uppercase is certainly useful. Thanks! – user98955 Feb 13 '18 at 6:41


abolish or eliminate a law by official action.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.