Something that refers to a collection of folded up cloth you'd buy at a store. An official term? I'm blanking.

  • 1
    Have you looked this up on fabric websites? What did you find?
    – Davo
    Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 20:00
  • Isn't cloth normally bought by the yard or the metre?
    – WS2
    Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 20:00
  • 7
    Depending on how much, you might be thinking of a bolt. Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 20:06
  • 2
    Do you really mean a collection? Like several different patterns of fabric, each cut to a standard size and sold together? In that case I think you're probably thinking of a fat quarter bundle (occasionally other sizes than fat quarters are also sold in bundles, but in the US that's by far the most common).
    – 1006a
    Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 20:09
  • Stash (your whole collection of fabric/cloth), stack (generic group of different fabrics that you can literally stack), bundle (specific to bundles of fat quarters etc... for quilting, all the pieces in a bundle should be the same size).
    – monty
    Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 23:44

6 Answers 6



a length or roll of cloth or wallpaper

(Cambridge Dictionary)

A bolt is a unit of measurement used as an industry standard for a variety of materials from wood to canvas, typically materials stored in a roll. Length will vary according to the type of material measured.1 The length is usually either 40 or 100 yards, but varies depending on the fabric being referred to.


enter image description here bolts of cloth

enter image description here

from Wikipedia

The usage of bolt referring to cloth is very old, it dates back to the 15th century:

Applied since Middle English to other short metal rods (especially those with knobbed ends). A bolt of canvas (c. 1400) was so called for its shape.


  • 3
    As someone who has bought cloth by the yard off the bolt on several occasion in the US, I can say that at least in my area, it's still called a bolt of cloth even when it's cut off the proper bolt. Generally it's taken off the roll and folded while it is being measured, prior to being cut off the roll for sale, and then it may be further folded in half to put in a shopping bag if it is flexible enough. Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 21:42
  • 1
    I'm not sure if I would call a word from the 15th century "very" old. Commented Feb 13, 2018 at 0:14

I suspect you're referring to a bundle of different cloths that are sold for quilting. If so, then you're usually talking about fat quarters (18x22 inches) or cake layers (9" squares). There are even smaller charm squares (about 5") which are sold in bundles, but these are not always folded.


  • Fat quarters is what first came to my mind
    – as4s4hetic
    Commented Feb 12, 2018 at 20:58
  • Those rather describe the sizes rather than being a collection though. It's perfectly possible to buy one fat quarter if that's all you need. Commented Feb 13, 2018 at 17:31

even possibly a remnant

cloth left after the rest has been sold or used



Swatch (noun), from Google:

a small sample of fabric intended to demonstrate the look of a larger piece.

  • a collection of fabric samples, especially in the form of a book.

I suggest this because of your use of the word "collection" in your question.

While bolt is the common name for the standard unit of cloth, it typically only holds a single color/pattern. If you are looking for the collection of patterns/fabrics for sampling purposes, swatch might fit best.

  • This is the best answer in my mind. Merriam's description matches well. Commented Feb 16, 2018 at 10:44

ream (noun)

2 : a great amount —usually used in plural

Although typically used to described paper, one could say:

I am going to buy a ream of cloth.


The store has many reams of cloth to choose from.


A pile of cloth maybe. A pile could be a collection of stacked or unstacked clothes.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.