Russell one wrote:

Between two quantities there is a conception of difference, but no difference of conception.

Is there a name for this kind of word play?

marked as duplicate by Edwin Ashworth, Mari-Lou A, Nigel J, curiousdannii, Scott Feb 8 '18 at 16:28

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


chiasmus noun, a reversal in the order of words in two otherwise parallel phrases

Definition of chiasmus

Wikipedia entry for chiasmus


This is a form of chiasmus, but more specifically, it's Antimetabole because the exact same words are used as opposed to just reversing the structure, which is chiasmus. Another famous example is MacBeth's "Fair is foul and foul is fair", if that helps.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.