What is the grassy area where people are sitting called, specifically?

enter image description here

I am not looking for a general term, like meadow, but for a word to describe an area that is for the purpose of accommodating people watching a show where no seats are available.

The people were watching from ____

  • 1
    Usually referred to as an audience enclosure. – JonLarby Feb 7 '18 at 16:37
  • 2
    It's a lawn, people can either sit on the grass or bring a collapsible chair with them. – Mari-Lou A Feb 7 '18 at 17:00
  • At the Filene Center, at Wolf Trap, just outside of Washington DC, there’s a grassy area called the lawn (Cf @Mari-LouA’s comment) although the lawn at Filene is behind the enclosed, or in-house, seats, not right up near the stage; still the lawn is what I’d probably use unless there’s some reason not to. (US English) – Arm the good guys in America Feb 8 '18 at 4:54

I cannot answer in a single word but what seems to be generally used when the area is in the open air is 'spectator area'.

In the 2007-08 season The FA ran a Respect pilot study in 19 leagues across England and these spectator areas had a hugely positive effect on behaviour. The barriers literally draw the line which parents and spectators should not cross.

East Riding FA


The people were watching from the general admission seating area.

"In a general admission (also known as open seating or free seating) scheme, each spectator has a ticket. However, the location from which they will watch the event is determined upon arrival at the venue. General admission is most commonly employed in seat-less venues, such as outdoor festival shows and smaller club shows."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.