Is "modificate" a correct English word?

From source: http://www.definitions.net/definition/modificate (Webster Dictionary)

Modificate (verb)

to qualify

Origin: [See Modify.]

But if I look in the Cambridge dictionary, it returns nothing: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/spellcheck/english/?q=Modificate

  • 2
    Yes, it's listed in the 1913 edition of Webster's, but Wiktionary gets it right here: obsolete. – Edwin Ashworth Feb 6 '18 at 10:06

It appears to be an obsolete usage of Latin origin (modificare) “to limit, measure off, restrain," from modus "measure, manner", probably used mainly in formal contexts:


(obsolete) To qualify.

John Pearson, Bishop of Chester

  • The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of the Lord, and of his Christ, and he shall reign for ever and ever, not only to the modificated eternity of his Mediatorship, so long as there shall be need of regal power to subdue the enemies of God's Elect; but also to the complete eternity of the duration of his Humanity, which for the future is co-eternal to his Divinity.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.