When we use a conjunction such as "but" or "yet" to dramatically interrupt the rhythm of a sentence.

What's this literary device called?

  • They're called contrastives. – Edwin Ashworth Feb 4 '18 at 20:40
  • 2
    An example would be beneficial to the question, yet remains unwritten therein. – IconDaemon Feb 4 '18 at 20:53
  • 1
    Possible duplicate of What is the role of "but" in this context? – Edwin Ashworth Feb 4 '18 at 23:21
  • Perhaps rhetorical devices is the area here: contrast. There are others that might fit, as well. – Lambie Feb 5 '18 at 16:14
  • I'd call it "butting in". – Hot Licks Feb 10 '18 at 3:48

This is called the Oppositional/Contrastive relationship:

One way to look at the oppositional or contrastive relationship is as the opposite of the additive relationship. In other words, the speaker, having mentioned one thing, wants to go on to talk about something else which contrasts with and is often in opposition to the first thing. Conjunctions and the Oppositional or Contrastitive Relationship

The following conjunctions are used to express the oppositional/contrastive relationship:

  • but
  • although
  • even
  • though
  • though
  • whereas
  • while
  • either . . . or

From: Rochester Institute of Technology - SEA


I've just found out that it's called "disjunction"

  • 1
    How about a link to where you found that? – KarlG Feb 10 '18 at 2:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.