I am looking for the term of a person who is asked to state something negative about themselves but actually states something positive..


"I guess one of my biggest faults is that I care too much"

"I guess one of my biggest faults is that I am too much of a perfectionist"

closed as primarily opinion-based by tchrist Aug 4 '18 at 17:05

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 6
    A relatively recent internet slang term for such a remark is a humblebrag. But this doesn’t refer to the person, but to the remark itself. You might by extension call the person a humblebragger, and while it’s not an established term, it should be understood by anyone familiar with the term humblebrag. – MattBecker82 Feb 4 '18 at 13:23
  • 3
    A modern term that literally answers your question is interviewee, but I'll see if I can come up with anything constructive. – Will Crawford Feb 4 '18 at 14:58
  • Are you looking for a term for the person, or a term for the statement? It will help people to give you better answers if you include an example sentence showing how you want to use the term, with a ___ or other placeholder where you want the word to go. (This is also technically required for single-word-requests.) – 1006a Feb 4 '18 at 15:58
  • I'd say that person was being disingenuous - slightly dishonest, or not speaking the complete truth. – FumbleFingers Feb 4 '18 at 16:44
  • 1
    Relating back to @MattBecker82 ' s suggestion of a humplebragger. The following article uses the term in the way described (but in plural form): nypost.com/2018/01/15/… – Gary Aug 4 '18 at 17:04

Self-applauding might be close.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.